Thursday, March 22, 2007

Flopped


I tell you of my successes so I should also share my failures. For tonights dinner I decided to do a steak and mushroom pie. That worked well. I also decided that lemon sorbet and chocolate sauce would make a nice dessert. I bought the lemon sorbet (I will get an ice cream maker one day, maybe when I have more room in the kitchen). But I decided to make the chocolate sauce. I have made chocolate sauce before. Quite successfully. Can't quite remember what I did but can't be that difficult can it? Yes, well.
So I bought some chocolate and some condensed milk (is anyone waving frantically at this point to warn me?). I melted the chocolate then added the condensed milk. Have you tried this? Let me tell you, it doesn't make a sauce, instead it becomes very thick, in fact very very thick. And then, if you add golden syrup to try and loosen it up, it solidifies. The first time I thought I had got the temperature wrong (over a steaming pan of water, so couldn't really be wrong). The second time I decided it was the condensed milk. At which point "A" ran into the dining room and told "J" I had got it wrong twice (thanks for the moral support). I still don't understand why condensed milk doesn't work while cream does but I gave up. I finally just melted some chocolate and poured that over. Of course that then sets to the sides of the bowl and forms a solid cap over the sorbet!

2 comments:

Caroline said...

condensed milk was created to be eaten with cream crackers. honest. ultimate binge.

Merlin said...

Euuuwwww!