Monday, March 05, 2007

Scribe


I was recently asked by someone to write a chapter for a book. Obviously veterinary related, you don't often get asked to write just one chapter for a novel! Anyway, two or three years ago I would have jumped at the chance. I would have seen it as good to have on my CV, and something that would get me a bit more known. I would have done it even though the "pay" was one free copy of the book. My mindset has altered a bit these days. They are asking for 16000 words, and I would have to edit it myself. That is a lot of work, it isn't the kind of thing that I can just knock off in a night. But it would be in the evenings and weekends when I had to do it. I am so aware of the impact that would have at home. There has to be a bigger pay-off. Someone somewhere is going to make some money out of it, maybe not a lot but definitely some. And I feel that if I agreed I would really be a bit of a sap. So I replied that I was interested but that I needed more than a book to make it worth it. Haven't heard anything since. And the thing is, I am not regretting it either.

No comments: