Wednesday, April 11, 2007

The Big Night


The morning is spent starting to worry about the practicalities of the day. Will the blue glasses that I have had engraved for the Lodge look good on the tables? Will my reply to the toast be suitable? How will we get the fruit and flowers to the Lodge? Have I printed enough place cards, and spelt names correctly? In some ways this is good because it keeps my mind off the enormity of the day.


After lunch I start thinking more about the actual event itself. The Lodge is going to install me as their Master for the next 12 months. They trust me enough to put the direction of the Lodge under my hand. This is really quite big. In fact, very big. I get more and more nervous. The meeting should start at 1630 hrs but we get delayed and we don't start until 1700 hrs. That was an incredibly long half hour.
Then the evening builds up, I have to step down as Senior Warden, in front of the Lodge I make some vows. Next all those who have not been in the Chair of a Lodge have to leave. The ensuing part is awe-inspiring (and I am not going to tell you about it apart from to say that what made it even more emotional was that my father conducted this part of the ceremony) before everyone comes back in and I am recognised as the Master. Then, after I close the Lodge, we all go upstairs for the meal.

I had chosen the same meal as my father had at his installation. It seemed a nice touch. Surrounded by friends a happy evening of conversation, toasts and replies, a bit of singing (the Masters Song) then followed. We finished late, very late. One of the latest evenings I have known but everyone seemed to enjoy themselves, I didn't see surreptitious glances at watches. Some friends travelled a long way, Bristol and Daventry, and that made it even more special. I never wanted the evening to end.

No comments: