Friday, April 20, 2007

The Thin Blue Line


I suspect I may not have helped my neighbours this evening. On the way back from work I was rather surprised to see the road next to ours closed off by the police. A lot of cars parked on the roundabout but no-one in them. Further down the road I could see that the park was cordoned off. All very odd. As I drove up to my house I noticed a car parked opposite with two people in it. I parked in my drive and got out of my car. Almost simultaneously the man and woman in the car got out. Uncanny timing, was it just a co-incidence? They looked at me. And this is where I might not have helped. Rather than smiling at them I stared, possibly quizically, and then broke eye contact and scurried into the house. I don't think I came over as "friendly". Now this might seem odd but my nervous behaviour was rather driven by the fact I thought they were police. Of the serious crime investigating sort. The "we would like to discuss where you were today" sort. I realise that this might sound, in itself, either suspicious or paranoid. But about 10 years ago I was interviewed by the police regarding a murder and I have never quite got over the experience. So, at times, I can feel a little "on edge". This was one of those times and I thought if I got into the house quickly enough then I might be OK.

So exactly why did this not help the neighbours? Well, as I got into our house and tried to surreptitiously peek out of the kitchen window without being spotted I suddenly remembered that the neighbours house was up for sale and it dawned on me that maybe these were people who had, until my odd behaviour, been considering becoming our new neighbours! Hmm, doubt I will be seeing them again anyway.

4 comments:

1 i z said...

Aw go on Merlin, you can tell us, where did you hide the body?

sally said...

Oh Liz...under the patio, onviously.....

Merlin said...

Oh Sal, the patio is just soooo seventies

Caroline said...

yeah sally, nowadays it's decking... or was that last season?