Sunday, April 29, 2007

The Pleasure Bean


Today we had a trip to Cadbury World. Both "A" and I were disappointed not to see any Oomp-Loompas, and neither of us felt that we had so much chocolate that we never wanted to see another bar in our lives (actually I was very restrained). None-the-less, not a bad place to spend the day. "A" got to practice tempering chocolate and, to her credit, did not get it all over herself. I would have liked to see more of the factory in action and to understand the whole process better, it wasn't "techy" enough for me, but we managed to avoid having our photo taken, unlike this poor couple.

I think the most amazing thing was realising how liberated and forward thinking the Cadbury family were. They introduced many things for the workforce which, even now, would not be done. They built a swimming pool and it was compulsory for the workforce to spend time learning to swim and time was provided during work hours for this. And, of course, they built Bourneville itself so that their employees were able to live in leafy suburbs rather than smoke filled inner cities. In fact, they were so good, that I think I should buy more chocolate simply to support the workforce.

1 comment:

sally said...

I went there once. Another visit is long overdue. I remember enjoying the visit to the historical bit very much, learning about how forward thinking Cadbusy's were, and how well the workers were treated...girls who got married were even presented with a Bible as they were shown the door!!! Seen the Ad for the new double chocolate, but yet to taste one...I did enjoy the sedate ride through the chocolate world..just about my level of excitement...no sudden surprises...