Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Nutty


I so wish I hadn't found this. The Wordsworth Rap. Luckily for you I can't add the video and I strongly advise that you don't go there unless you have a very strong constitution. We have a rapping squirrel, MC Nuts, dancing around the lakes singing a rap version of "I Wandered Lonely As A Cloud". And it is produced by the Cumbrian Tourist Board. They say that 200 years after the poem was written it is still reaching new audiences and inspiring people. This is good. So they decided to do a You-Tube version. This is bad. What would Wordsworth make of lines such as "When all at once I looked down and saw a crowd, And in my path there was a host of golden daffodils, So check it" or "Must have been ten thousand I saw in my retina, No more than a glance then I register they're beautiful etcetera" (honest, in the rap the squirrel sings the word "etcetera" to rhyme with "retina").
And they think it will keep the poem alive for another 200 years. I think they may have just killed it off. MC Nuts is a red squirrel, I think his days might have become even more endangered. The Cumbrian Tourist Board and MC Nuts have definitely not got "respect".

No comments: