Sunday, April 15, 2007

Too Long Albert


Radio 4 have a programme today called "The Reunion" where they are bringing together cast of Eastenders. Apparently Eastenders was first aired in 1985.

Now I have to say, Eastenders is a programme that irritates the hell out of me. I see it as one of the worst aspects of media and the fact that it is so popular does not reflect well on humanity. It is banned in our household. Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against soaps per se. I used to watch Coronation Street (until it became more like Eastenders), I listen to the Archers, although not a fan of Neighbours I don't mind it being watched in our house. No, my hatred is very specific to Eastenders. It is the plotlines of Eastenders that are the problem. There are always very bad things happening to people and no-one is ever happy. I am sure there is occassional humour but it is constantly overshadowed by the sheer misery. There are more tears shed in Eastenders in a year than have been ever shed in The Archers (a much longer running soap). And I believe this is why it is popular. The fan base is dominated by people watching the programme and then thinking that at least there are people worse off in the world than they are. It survives because it makes people think that their lives could be worse. In other words it relies on our base instincts that other peoples suffering makes our hard times seem better. It makes us glad that others have more problems than we do. And I think that this is a very bad thing.

Let's have humour, let's have things that raise us above the dross and make us aspire to happiness, aspire to being good to each other. Give us the anti-Eastenders.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I cried while listening to The Archers. Twice, I think. The first time was when someone's horse was attacked and had to be put down (I think), the second time I can't really remember.