Sunday, April 22, 2007

Notes From Heaven


OK, a bit late reporting this one, but the story is worth telling, and my thanks to Barefoot for finding it. It is certainly an interesting experiment. Place a top rate, world recognised, violinist in an incongruous position, such as at a busy station, and see how many people realise what they are listening to.

It is a long article. If you want to see the video clips then you will need to follow the link as I still don't know how to add video to my blog, but I will summarise.

The Washington Post managed to convince Joshua Bell to play for just under three quarters of an hour during the middle of morning rush hour at a Metro station in Washington DC. They wanted to see what kind of attention he would get and how many people would stop to listen to something that actually would cost a heck of a lot of money to see in a concert hall. The result was not many people stopped. Only a tiny fraction of those going past could spare even a moment of their lives.

But reading the piece I am filled with conflicting thoughts. At first it seems a pity, sad even, that people do not stop. But then consider the pieces he is playing. These are fine pieces, but they are pieces for those who know music, have grown up with music, who understand music. Classical music is a refined taste, like many things you need to start with the basics. And the majority of those walking past haven't had that experience so all they hear is a "scratchy" violin. I have listened to the clips and there are bits that transcend emotion but there are also bits that don't.

So I am not sure what it actually tells us. That many of us are too wrapped up in our own world? Possibly yes. That an internationally recognised genius is only a genius amongst those who understand the field, yes. But actually we could look at the hope of the story. Some did stop, some stood still and listened, some who had never been touched by classical music were touched for a moment.

Would I have stopped? I hope so.

7 comments:

Sarah said...

I have enjoyed classical music played on the street - it can make Manchester city centre more bearable. However, I don't think I'd recognise the difference between classical music played well and world class classical music.

I think there is also a value judgement made about classical music by a lot of people who like it - it's the high culture/low culture debate. It is possible that, if I listened to and understood opera and classical music, my life would be immeasurably improved. Maybe I'd be a better person. I'm not convinvced.

This is a lazy comment - I've half made arguments and relied on people knowing what I'm talking about. Sorry - I'm doing a mortgage application at the moment...

Merlin said...

Ah, classical music is a refined taste. That does not mean that it is high culture vs low culture. I enjoy opera, I grew up listening to it and going to it and I enjoy it. That doesn't make me any more high cultured than someone who likes rock. And liking opera does not make me a better person or improve my life, it just means that there is something else I have learned to take pleasure from. Actually, those who are music snobs, ie who believe it does make them high cultured to like classical but not other things, are just showing how closed their minds are.

sally said...

I am open about msot music, but I must confess, opera is not up there for me......my loss I guess???

Merlin said...

Opera is such a wide term, everything from La Boheme to Falstaff and everything in between. Don't judge opera from just hearing it or seeing it on TV. You won't get the most. Go and see La Boheme or La Traviata, or The Magic Flute. If you ahven't seen it live then you can't know. Anyone who likes classical music and likes the theatre should enjoy opera.

Mind you, my blind spot is ballet. Does nothing for me. I have seen Swan Lake by one of the russian troupes and I came away unmoved.

We can't all like everything. And it would be boring if we did. As long as we can say we gave something a fair go then it matters not if we like it or no.

sally said...

Ok here's the deal, you take me to an opera, I'll take you to a nice folk night..I bet you never have....

Merlin said...

Oh Sal, how little you know me. I used to sing in the folk group at school, while at Glasgow uni I went to the Strathclyde folk club every other week. I was also a member of the Strathclyde Male Voice Choir.

sally said...

Oh wow! A fellow folkie..see Liz, he's not all bad....:)