Friday, May 11, 2007

Bang Bang


I am not going to dwell on the resignation of Tony very much. I actually never really doubted that most of his decisions were taken from conviction. I think the conviction badly placed, but I believe he felt he was doing right. I am more dubious about his grasping of the sound bite. The opportunity to ally himself with the people, to turn anything into a political point if he could, such as the peoples princess.

But I note he has managed to take us to war 5 times in 10 years. I am missing one, as I can think of Sierra Leone, Kosovo, Afghanistan and Iraq, but I am reliably informed it was 5. Once I got over the shock of such intervention I actually then realised what was really interesting was the wars we didn't get into. We have let Zimbabwe get away with abuses of a massive nature, and this in a country that we have close connections to. We have ignored Darfur, where massive genocide has occurred. And the real question has to be why we haven't intervened in these places? Why do we believe in an interventionist policy for some countries but not others? I will leave you to ponder that.

No comments: