Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Burning Money


How much is being spent on a smoking ad that is completely unnecessary? Is the ad to inform people who smoke that they won't be able to in public enclosed areas any more. No. Is it to improve the national health. No. This is a glory ad. It is a dying attempt by a government, or more specifically a prime minister, trying to build a legacy. He is trying to say "look what I have done for you". It is to make us non-smokers think that he is a wonderful bloke. I really am pleased that smoking will be banned, I think it is great. But I don't then need to see millions of tax payers money being poured into an advert that simply tells us what we already know. It is hard to imagine that no-one knew the ban was coming into force, it has been talked about enough. But even if you don't know then the signs that will go up everywhere will be enough to inform you when the time comes.
Can I have my money back please?

6 comments:

1 i z said...

It may be hard for you to imagine, but maybe you're just more informed than the average bear? A recent survey has suggested that over 50% of people still do not know that a ban is coming in http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6643551.stm

In light[sic] of that, an advertising campaign seems rather sensible really. Much easier if people know up front rather than individual staff at premises, bosses etc having to deal with the moment when people 'first' find out. Warning signs should be last resort reminders, not the primary means of education.

Sarah said...

I know it's coming but I thought it was 1 June. The adverts have informed me it's 1 July (or else it's a really rubbish advertising campaign, or I am very dim-witted). But then, I haven't paid too much attention as I don't smoke so I don't really need to know.

Merlin said...

Excellent. There I was, driving back, thinking that 1iz hadn't disagreed with we recently. I was worried one of us was mellowing.

How do 50% not know there is a ban. It is already in Ireland, Scotland and Wales. Even the Sun must have reported on it.

I'm sorry. If they don't know now then an ad isn't going to rectify the problem. I still think it is a glory-to-labour ad.

Merlin said...

Hmm, that would obviously be a royal "we" then!

sally said...

Sorry, i am with Liz..no matter how much it is in the media, there will be so many..ignorant? uninformed who will light up on July 1st and really, really not know..and they will be the ones to get really shirty and pissed off with whoever tells them the good news..so yes, a clear ad campaign is advisable...

1 i z said...

Like Sarah, I was aware the ban was coming in, but the reason I know the date is because of the advertising campaign.

I suppose I might have been paying particular attention (unlike the 50%) as I do have a small interest:
a) once in a very blue moon, often in a pub, I have the sudden and unexpected urge to "av a faaag", which is strange as I've never been a smoker and for the other 363 days of the year I find the very thought repulsive
b) on some of those 363 days of the year, I would like to be able to go to the pub etc and not come away stinking of stale cigarette smoke.

Roll on 1st July say I!