Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Put It Out

So the next plan is to stop smoking in cars altogether. I have previously said I am in favour of banning smoking in company cars but I am not sure this can be extended further. Admittedly the reason cited is that smoking is dangerous. I don't mean dangerous as in cancer, but as in road safety. I rather like the concern that the cigarette might get blown into the back of the car by the wind and cause a fire (I would love to see the statistics on how often that happens every year).

This could get out of hand. Obviously eating and drinking (non-alcoholic obviously) will be the next to go. And it is true that trying to eat a curry while doing a three point turn is particularly difficult to do. Singing along to music will have to go as well, mainly because hearing someone else singing along to Girls Aloud at the traffic lights can lead to serious damage (banging the head on the steering wheel until the air bag goes off). Finally it will be sneezing. After all, a good sneeze when you are doing 70 on the motorway can distract you for a lot further than the braking distance, not including the subsequent two miles trying to get the windscreen clean.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I think it's already illegal to eat or drink while driving - didn't a woman get prosecuted for eating an apple while driving a year or so ago?

Mmmm, curry...