Monday, May 21, 2007

Take Your Pick


Study the following excerpt of conversation and then answer the multiple choice question below.

To set the scene - me decorating "A"s bedroom, has involved a hammer and some brute force to get the built-in wardrobes to a state where they are no longer built-in. Nails, screws and splinters are abundant. Instead of tidying up I have started painting.

A - "I want to come in"

Me - "no, you don't have shoes on"

A - "neither do you"

Me - "that's not the point"

A - "but you don't have shoes so I am going to come in"

Me - "no, don't. I am being naughty"

A - "well I will be naughty as well"

Me - "no, there are sharp things on the floor and you might get hurt"

A - "so might you"

Me - "yes, but if I go to the doctor with a nail through my foot it was simply my fault, if I take you with a nail through you foot then we have been bad parents and they will take you away"


So do you think "A" answered

a) You aren't bad parents, you are wonderful

b) I don't ever want to be taken away from you

c) It's alright being bad parents

All those who guessed (c) will realise why my self-esteem took a dive.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Do as you say, not as you do?

My mum says that being a parent is about guilt all the way - sometimes I feel like a bad daughter.

Anonymous said...

And at what point did you decide the easiest thing was to put your own shoes on ?

Merlin said...

You are kidding aren't you!

sally said...

But given the abundance of nails, screws and splinters, why on earth were you in there without shoes anyway??? I think we are all owed some kind of explanation.....

1 i z said...

I'm just impressed that you came up with such a good retort re why it mattered more if she got a nail in her foot!

(and is it just me that can so hear George's voice in her comment?)

sally said...

No..not just you..you can almost hear the detention looming in her voice....he will be kept in at playtime until he learns his lesson....