Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Ashes - Final day at Adelaide

In the words of Victor Meldrew "I don't believe it". How did they throw that away? I went to bed thinking that all they needed to do was keep on batting. It was never going to be a win for England but a draw would have been fine, would have meant we were moving in the right direction. Wake up to find Australia in with a ridiculously low target. I still blame Giles, if he hadn't dropped Ponting in the first innings this would have been a completely different story. The Aussies can't be given even a glimmer of light, they will stick their size 20 boots in the crack and force it open. In addition this dismal collapse means that Flintoff has had to bowl again and that won't have helped his ankle. Hard to see how we can get this going now.

Now we have a lot of Aussies at work. T.., my equine partner in crime (that is, he is the equine product manager and I am the equine vet, not that we are both horses), is one of them. And he gloated today. In fact he came in wearing an Aussie cricket shirt. So we now have a bet (and I am writing this here and now so neither of us can back down). If England lose all the test matches then I will have to wear the Aussie cricket shirt but if we win one, that's right just one, then he will wear an England cricket shirt.

Wait for the photo!

No comments: