Saturday, December 09, 2006

Freemasonry

It amazes me how many people are scared of Freemasonry. I even lost a friend when she found out I was a Freemason. When I say found out I mean I told her, she didn't manage to unearth it like some dark secret. I am more than happy to tell people I am a Mason, I wear a watch with masonic symbols, I wear cufflinks with masonic symbols. That is the first rumour to dispel, we do not have to keep it hidden that we are members. In fact I believe the main reason some people do not like to let on is because of the way they get treated once people know.

Freemasonry is about learning a moral code. It uses "plays" to tell stories which teach us about ourselves and our fellow man (as in Homo sapiens, not as in male). The secrets relate to parts of the plays, and that is not unusual. Do you like to go to the theatre knowing exactly what you will see? Lodge meetings are one of the few times I have seen people from every social and religious background getting on, no creed or belief gets in the way of recognising that we all have value and that we are all equal. We raise money for charity, not just masonic charities but anything and anyone who has needs. We stand by the principles of Brotherly Love, Relief and Truth. We do not just look after our "own" (I did hear some people condeming Masonry because a lodge had given support to the widow of a mason, I still don't understand why that is actually wrong, she was in need and we helped, surely that is good) but for the community as a whole.

3 comments:

Doug said...

I was sorry to read that you lost a friend when they "discovered" you were a mason. I have recently joined the brotherhood and luckily have had great feedback from my friends and family members.

I am currently reading for my second degree and am excited for the next phases of my journey


I have started a blog at http://dougsmasonicjourney.blogspot.com/, stop by anytime and post some thoughts.



Thanks

Merlin said...

To be honest I have seen it more as her problem than mine. I knew her for a long time before, in fact before I became a mason. If she could forget who I was and only see me as a mason then I question the level of friendship we truly had. She is the only one who has had a problem, both of friends and work colleagues. Most are simply interested ot learn more.

Doug said...

Im glad to see that you have many other people around you that are supportive and interested in your pursuits. I have been lucky in that regard so far.