Thursday, December 28, 2006

ipod


Nano or video, that is the question. I always used to think I liked listening to one album at a time. Then I bought the Motorola RZR with iTunes. Basically a phone with ipod function. I am now addicted to the shuffle mode, it is wonderful not knowing what is going to come up next, rock followed by Pachelbel followed by a musical. However the phone can only hold 100 songs.

So now I want to buy an ipod but I am really struggling to decide between the 8gB nano and the 30gB video. Advantages of the video - larger memory, screen for playing movies once they are available in the UK. Advantages of the nano - smaller size, a (RED) product so purchase helps fight Aids. {and before anyone suggests it, following the last post this is not hypocritical, the point of (RED) is that you purchase what you want but it benefits the war against Aids, if there was a (RED) video then that is what I would look at}

Anyone got experience with these? Suggestions (before I next go through Duty Free please)?

6 comments:

Sarah said...

I just bought a new mp3 player and I got a sony NWS 706 (spmething like that). I really like it. Apart from being purple, it has a good radio tuner on it so I can listen to radio 4 and it has a noise-reduction feature and it's made by Sony, which seems to be a good thing. I've read too much about ipods packing up after a year or so, getting scratched or otherwise getting damaged. I also prefer the size of the sony one. And did I mention that it was purple? It's only 4 gb, which is enough for me, but you might want something with a bit more room

Merlin said...

Purple is only a little better than pink. I think I am now tied to the ipod, I have converted almost 1000 tracks into itunes, couldn't face that again.

Sarah said...

Yeah, I'm a bit annoyed that some of my music won't transfer onto my new mp3 player, and I think it might be because I downloaded it from i-tunes. Also, I can't open i-tunes - it's locked and I can't open it and I don't know why.

Purple is not like pink. It doesn't have the "because you're a girl" connotations, to start with

Merlin said...

I think that you will find the point of i-tunes is that they will only play with i-pods. I may be wrong but they use a different conversion to lock you in.

Shaun said...

Hey Merlin,

ipod nano's are cool. teenytiny too. go for the 8gig, thats something like 80 cd's worth so should be plenty to outlast the battery charge!. the colours can be disguised with ipod socks..

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/uk/Images/M9720_screen1.jpg

besides, its nearly always going to be hidden in a pocket so who cares if its pink?.

regarding the format of the files, itunes downloaded from the itunes store will only play on ipods. however, any cd you rip can be ripped to mp3 instead in itunes, and would therefore be transferable to other players. Its an option in the preferences somewhere.

Sarah said...

The itunes files played on my Creative MuVo though.