Sunday, December 10, 2006

Wii

I am yet to work out how this should be pronounced (weeee, why,wi) but the latest console has been released. And the rush to the shops has been overwhelming. Even when people have put down a deposit they have still being queuing all night to pick one up.

I have to admit that the price really isn't bad. It even makes it quite attractive, competing with the older consoles that are available.

But exactly how sensible is it to design something that means players will be swinging the Nunchuck (who came up with that name) control towards the TV in any number of throwing motions. I will take a moment to quote from the website "If you use excessive motion and let go of the Wii Remote, the wrist strap may break and you could lose control of the Wii Remote. This could injure people nearby or cause damage to other objects. "

So you want me to get completely immersed in the game, think that I am under attack and my life depends on this final swing of my sword. Hands sweaty, tension mounting, thin strap around the wrist. One expensive HD TV soon becomes the target for a bullet shaped piece of plastic. Somehow I can see a few lawyers rubbing their hands in glee at the prospect of being able to sue Nintendo for a number of broken TV screens in the near future.

No comments: