Sunday, December 24, 2006

The Good Life - Dorian Amos


Unfortunately the proof reader for this book should be shot. Poor grammar and poor spelling (for instance "bowing" when referring to the rather famous make of aeroplane) end up distracting me so much that it is hard to enjoy the book.

I admire the concept behind it, a couple decide that life in Cornwall is too run-of-the-mill and that they need to break away. They decide to go to Canada, get a dog, then move out to the wilds and survive. I really do admire them for trying to make a new life and for being brave enough to do the unexpected. Then it falls down because they doing things that really are a risk to life, and mainly a risk because they are unprepared and naive. I do not believe that we should hide from risk, but I do believe that our risks should be done with knowledge and that we shouldn't risk others at the time. I can understand someone wanting to run rapids that are known to kill more people than they let through, but I can't understand someone taking their loved one through. Even if I can accept that the couple are both as responsible, they risk the dogs life and he is certainly an innocent in all this.

The natives have a saying that your life is a story. The question posed by this book is how will your story read? I certainly wouldn't want my story to be cut short because of my own stupidity and I definitely wouldn't want part of my obituary to read that I cut someone elses story short in the process.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoever wrote this overview lives in a city and did not grasp the reality of what the book is about.
It is easy to swim down stream, but the salmon choose to swim against the current. If you understand that comment you understand the contents of the book.
Another point to note is you should not critisize others for grammer or spelling without first checking and re-checking your own.

Merlin said...

I accept the criticism about my spelling and grammar (although would point out that I am not expecting people to pay to read my blog, and would also point ouot that there is a bit of pot calling keetle in the comment).

However I do not live in a city. never have. I grew up in the country. I spent a lot of my youth up Scottish mountains. I am a vet and thus very well acquainted with nature and her foibles. I actually speak from experience and understanding of what is sensible and what is stupidity. Swimming against the current does not mean "be stupid and don't respect the forces of nature".