Saturday, December 30, 2006

Execution

I almost resisted. It was too big a news story. I didn't want to go near it. But I need to give vent to my frustration. But no pictures and no links.

I am shocked. Shocked that they executed Hussein, shocked that they picked the end of the year (an important time for many religions) and shocked that they put it on television. I am shocked that the UK is so against the death penalty but our politicians suddenly seem to think it alright as long as it is another country and someone who is not english (is it just that they hope that his execution means the whole debacle will go away). I am shocked that Bush is arrogant enough to sleep through it, telling his aides not to disturb him.

I am frustrated that an illegal war has come to this. That the biggest and strongest countries have flexed their muscles to lead a small country to disaster. I am not saying that Hussein didn't deserve to be brought to justice. But there are other countries and other dictators that are ignored because they are western-friendly. It is the selectiveness of the thing. And the attitude that we know better. The USA, aided by Britain, are nothing less than global dictators.

His death serves no-one any good. It will not help the attrocities currently occurring in Iraq, they are not driven by him. It will not bring back those he killed. And it does not give him time to reflect.

What was the point?

No comments: