Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Shares

Well I was completely wrong about Burberry. The city are a lot more pragmatic than the people who were on the news. Despite the demonstrators the shares have gone up from 616.50 to 628.25. I still don't feel that these are the shares for me to buy at the moment. They seem ideal for a long term investment of a substantial sum but not so good for speculation.

Character Group are going well. This is the company who make toys, including the Dr Who range. With the current revival in Dr Who I thought that this sounded a good bet and bought £500 of shares (you see, I dabble, that's all). They are now worth £746, Not a bad return on the investment. I now have the problem that I always get with shares, and that is whether I should sell and make good on the investment.

Shares can be very frustrating. A few years ago I bought shares in Protherics. At one point they went so high as to quadruple their value. Would have been great to sell but all the phone lines to my broker were engaged and I didn't manage to give the instructions. By the time I could get through they had returned to a more normal level. They are still worth twice what I paid for them but I live in the hope for another peak.

With any luck I have fixed the trading problem by joining Shareview. This means I can trade on-line and I can set buy or sell requests in the evenings which will get acted on the next morning. You can also set watchlists so you can see how companies are performing before you decide to buy. I am currently watching Vectura and Oxford Biomed.

No comments: