Friday, January 05, 2007

Chastened


I am somewhat chastened by lizs comment to my post. Chastened not because of my beliefs, but because I might be seen as casually dismissing someones views. I actually took time over that post, it was not a one minute job, and I would not casually dismiss anyones views, especially not Squeak. I know Squeak to live her life by her principles and she should be admired for that. However I do not want to start every post with "I agree with your thoughts but....", I have to do too much of that at work. I want my blog to be an open forum for debate, I want to be challenged, but I will also defend what I believe. And politics is always going to be emotive, especially as I think I am in the minority in my beliefs amongst my friends. Writing is always more dangerous than speaking as there is no body language to deflect or temper the words (a reason why emails so easily offend). Please take what I write as done with a smile if we are debating a point, but I want freedom of expression. I am sorry if offence was, is, or will be caused. Now, apology over, on with the argument........

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Don't worry, I am not offended. I will try to come up with an intelligent post but have spent a long time on the phone today to a tenant who was unhappy about various things to do with his mother's tenancy which are part of the legal relationship between landlord and tenant and therefore not my fault. He implied that my behaviour might upset his mum and kill her and then said that "the first person who upsets my mother, I'll be round and upset them. And that's not a threat, that's a promise". So I have no power left in my brain...

Merlin said...

Not a good day for you. Horrible kind of phone call. I have put down the phone after farmers threatening to take their lives because things are so bad and they blame us. Get Matt to cook you a nice meal and try to forget it for the weekend.

1 i z said...

No probs, Merlin. The apparent tone of the post in question (it was the first sentence that came across unfortunately), didn't seem in keeping with what I know of you as a person in real life.

As you say the written form can be a tricky beast. But then as one of my favourite rabbit corpse handlers I'm confident you'll tame it ;-)