Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Ship called Dignity


{Actually no ship at all but I wondered how many would get the reference}

Anyway, while at the spa I had a thought. If it is only me who this is true of then I am going to be embarrassed but if everyone gets it then I think this is a wonderful piece of psychology.

So there I was wandering around in my speedos (sorry for that mental image but it is a necessary part of the tale), and I realised that I didn't mind all these strangers seeing me, and I wouldn't mind if it was friends who were there, but if it was people I knew and saw regularly, for instance work colleagues (and before I upset anyone, obviously some work colleagues are friends as well), then I would be mortified.

And I have a theory about this, it all comes down to dignity. Friends should know you well enough that dignity is not an issue. With people who you will never see again you don't need any dignity. But acquaintances are different and dignity becomes very important, it is a vital piece in the chess of life and loosing it can quickly lead to check mate.

No comments: