Sunday, January 28, 2007

In Memoriam - David Rattray


I have just learned of the murder of David Rattray. I am shocked. My parents were lucky enough to be able to count him as a friend, I have just met him the once. This man was someone who was special. He had an immense respect for his fellow man, and an ability to recognise the best in each one. He worked hard for South Africa and for its people. He was active in fighting apartheid.


To hear him talk on the Zulu wars was to experience a life changing event. I saw him at the Royal Geographical Society last year, and at 1900hrs at night in a packed lecture hall he could make you believe that you were at Rorkes Drift. David knew the Zulu wars. He knew them as no-one else did. He knew them because he grew up being told the stories by some of the warriors who were there. He knew them because he cared for all those who lost their lives, no matter the colour of their skin. He knew more than just the big events, he could tell you who was more interested in finding a rare beetle than firing his gun, how a boy led his injured pony back to camp, how a trading post became the scene of a story where more VCs were won in one day than any other battle. It was in his bones and his life-blood. Get hold of "The Day of the Dead Moon", his guide to the Zulu war. Listen to it. As you hear of how brave men on both sides lost their lives I defy you not to have tears in your eyes.

I am proud to have shaken this mans hand. A man who had time for everyone. I am saddened that others will never have the chance because of a mindless act of violence. Whether it was assassination or botched robbery probably matters little. I only met him the once, but I have tears in my eyes as I write this.

No comments: