Thursday, January 11, 2007

Dorian Who?

This is strange. The most common search term for finding my blog is “Dorian Amos”. I really don’t know how that is happening. Well, obviously I know I am found because I critiqued his book. What I mean is I don’t understand why so many are searching for him. So I looked at his book on Amazon. Almost everyone gives it 5 stars. Weird I think, the book isn’t well written. So obviously it is what he has done, not what he writes that everyone is so excited about.

So is this people living in cities, growing up never seeing the world or seeing nature. Is it vicarious living?

I have grown up in the country. I have “roughed” it, not like Dorian, nothing that extreme. But I have packed my bag and trekked across Canada. I have disappeared by myself to Orkney. I have opened my tent in the morning and then laid there watching otters playing in water. I have killed for my meal. I have climbed mountains by myself when I shouldn’t. I have wondered if I will make it back. But through none of it would I have ever knowingly put a loved one in danger.

If you really admire him so much then go and do it. He did it, so can you. He will even help you mine for gold. Don't romanticise this. It is not an easy life, it is not a pleasant life. But be true to yourself. Only a dead salmon flows with the current.

No comments: