Sunday, January 07, 2007

Getting Ready

I really need to start getting ready for my installation as Master of the Lodge of Enterprise. It may seem a long way away, the second Wednesday of April, but I have plenty to think of. As well as having to learn some lines for the ceremony I have to think about who I want to ask to be officers for the forthcoming year. I know who I would like but, like a pack of dominos, if one person doesn't accept the position then the whole plan will come tumbling down. I need to start phoning around now in order to be prepared.

In addition I would like to do something a bit different. I have a couple of ideas about the place settings for the Festive Board after the ceremony, something that will tell visitors a bit about the history of the Lodge. I also want to have something that stands out a bit. I was thinking of firing glasses. The firing glass is a glass with a heavy base, after a toast it is brought crashing down on the table with a loud bang, the firing glass does not have drink in it for obvious reasons (although this is a mistake I have seen made, with interesting and impressive results). Firing glasses are not that common in lodges but I have seen them on a few occassions so I am now trying to think of something that I haven't seen that might become a lodge tradition given time. I need to discuss my thoughts with some Past Masters to see if they are acceptable, so phone calls required there as well.

No comments: