Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Rant


Although let down by Dog Collar it is fair to say my other friends and I have had a few rants lately. Well, I feel a need to keep them coming.

So it is a little while since I posted that our conservatory was complete. In fact, you would notice in the same post that I mentioned that my daughter might have been a bit distracting. It would seem she was. We have a list of "snags", eg a scratch on the glass, a scratch on the window frame, a lack of skirting board (originally there was no plan to have skirting but, and this is really weird, although the floor is level and the window cills are level there is an ever widening gap between floor and damp course as you look around the wall of the conservatory), a lack of door fills etc.

I saw these at the time. I withheld £1000 of the final payment. I kind of thought that would be an incentive for them. Well, somewhat surprisingly, £1000 doesn't seem to be enough.

After weeks of phone calls we finally got them to come around last Saturday. But they only brought the window, nothing else. To be honest I just told them to go away again. Is it unreasonable to want it all done at once? I don't want to spend my life, or "J"s life, waiting for builders to come and fix things bit by bit.

We may have come to an impasse. They don't seem bothered about loosing £1k. Whereas I am quite happy to have £1k more in the bank than I expected. We have given up on the window frame being fixed, as apparently they have to take the entire roof off (and why did they fit it in the first place with a big scratch), and I could probably do the skirting myself. So I don't have the fight in me that I need to get this done.

2 comments:

sally said...

um...use the £1,000 to pay someone else who does want the job????? Only a suggestion....I think Ornage may have opened a building dept.....with a call centre in India of course..so you can explain what needs doing to someone who won't understand....

Merlin said...

And the key problem to that otherwise excellent suggestion is finding someone who wants to do it. Maybe it is just us but I am tired of getting workmen to come around to give a quote and then never seeing them again. But actually ringing Orange might be fun, it would confuse them so much "can you fix my conservatory" "err we do phones" "I know but can you do my conservatory" "er phones" "conservatory" ad infinitum